Were you the victim of a home repair scam?
Don’t let it happen again!
- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Get estimates before doing home renovations.
- Do not pay for work in advance.
- Never do business without checking references.
- Don’t be afraid to call the police and have them check out the credentials of someone who is working in your area. your behalf, and you don’t understand the
- actions he or she can take using your name and assets, TALK TO SOMEONE ABOUT IT!
- Always use good financial practices. Use direct deposit. Do not sign blank checks. Never leave money laying around.
- If you or someone you know has been the victim of elder financial abuse and want to talk confidentially to someone about it, a Adult Protective Services caseworker can help you take steps to alleviate the situation.
Illinois Department on Aging
Adult Protective Services Hotline: